Recent arthropod activity in the news and around the blogosphere.
- Mammoth Tales has a great post about the history of man’s understanding of, and fascination with, trilobite fossils.
- Notes from the Museum, the blog for the awesome Museum of the Earth in Ithaca NY, has adorable stuffed trilobites on display. Unfortunately, you need to visit the museum shop to pick them up. It is a wonderful place if you are ever in the area. I highly recommend it for fossil hounds and science junkies.
- The Avatism has a great post about some close cousins of the arthropods, velvet worms. Read his article to learn all about these unusual animals and for a fitting smack-down of “missing links”.
- Not Exactly Rocket Science has an article about some… pushy mating tactics used by male water striders.
- Finally, I had to shamelessly steal this video from Kevin Z at Deep Sea News. It’s an awesome Cadbury commercial (I’m honestly not sure for what) that features a scene with mantis shrimp riding on a mana ray, flipping the bird to a bunch of crabs riding a sea turtle… too awesome… head about to explode…